How to Make Your Own Granola
Store-bought granola often comes with a hefty price tag. How do we slash this cost? By making our own of course. And it gets even better, it is so simple to make you won’t believe that you never started making your own granola before.
There are many different recipes online that will give you all kinds of different flavors. No matter which you choose, it’s hard to go wrong.
So why am I writing about granola here at UK Survival Guides?
It’s simple. Granola is delicious, nutritious, and long lasting. It is also lightweight which makes granola snacks an easy food to add to your emergency survival bags.
I will add a recipe below but don’t be afraid to try new ideas out and tweak it to your heart’s content.
What You Need
- 1 cup of sweetener such as: 1 cup clover honey OR 1 cup pure maple syrup OR 1/2 cup honey + 1/2 cup brown sugar OR 1/2 cup pure maple syrup + 1/2 cup brown sugar OR you can even use 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of organic coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter (or substitute more oil for a vegan version)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of kosher salt (optional, and only recommended if the nuts you’re adding are unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 5 cups of rolled grains (usually oats)
- 4 cups of nuts and seeds (any combination)
- 1 cup of dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF/160ºC.
- Line two large rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, toss together the rolled grains and/or oats, nuts, and seeds. Don’t add the fruit yet! You’ll add that after you’ve baked the granola.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the honey, syrup, or brown sugar (or a combination), butter, and vegetable oil, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted and the ingredients are well combined. Add the cinnamon, pinch of salt, and/or vanilla extract if using.
- Pour the honey/butter/oil mixture over the grain/nut/seed mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the granola onto cookie sheets and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola turns golden brown.
- Let cool, then toss in the dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container.
See how easy that was?
Share your own recipes below.