I absolutely love peanut butter and get through a lot of it in sandwiches. The problem though is the price and not all peanut butter is the same and can come with some unwanted ingredients such as palm oil. If you want to save yourself some money and know exactly what is going into your peanut butter, why not make your own at home?
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe #1
For our first peanut butter recipe your are going to need the following ingredients:
- One pound of shelled peanuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
The above ingredients will give you about a jar’s worth of peanut butter. The method is as follows:
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add your peanuts making sure to boil them for about one minute
- Strain the nuts and place them onto a baking pan and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees
- Remove from the oven and remove any remaining skins from the peanuts and then put them all into your food processor for around a minute, or until they are nicely ground down
- Slowly add your oil and salt and then keep processing until it reaches your desired consistency.
Check out the video below:
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe #2
For our second recipe we are going to be frying our peanuts to completely supercharge the flavor. You are going to need a good wok, frying pan, or cast-iron skillet. A wok is the preferred method as they are great at handling the high heat and using only a small amount of oil when frying.
Gather together the following ingredients:
- One pound of shelled, skinned, raw peanuts
- One tablespoon of oil (peanut, sunflower, etc)
- One tablespoon of kosher salt
- Three tablespoons of honey
The method is as follows:
- Start off by lining a baking sheet with paper towels as you are going to need it once the peanuts have been cooked
- Preheat your cast-iron skillet or wok over a medium-high heat for around 30 seconds and then pour in your oil of choice
- Once the oil starts to shimmer you can add your peanuts
- Stir vigorously for around a minute to keep the peanuts moving and then turn the heat down to medium. Keep stirring until the peanuts turn golden brown
- Remove from the heat and place the peanuts on the baking sheet that you prepared earlier and leave to cool
- Take one cup of your peanuts and pulse them in your food processor until they’re as chunky as you prefer. Once done, put them aside in a separate bowl.
- Place the rest of your peanuts into the food processor, add your salt and honey and then process them until they are completely smooth. Make sure that you occassionally stop the processor to scrape the sides
- Once completed, add your chopped peanuts to the smooth peanut mixture and pulse in the food processor a few times to mix them together thoroughly.
You can check the video below by Alton Brown to see the above recipe in action:
Related: Surprising Uses for Peanut Butter