We have looked at preventing carbon monoxide poisoning here on the site before but one of the main steps of doing that is to actually make sure that your carbon monoxide detectors are in full working order.
Carbon monoxide (CO2) is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly in large enough quantities. Sometimes a homeowner may get sick and head outdoors for some fresh air which can help but more often than not, the addition of CO2 into a house becomes a tragedy instead.
A carbon monoxide detector will alert a homeowner of the presence of high levels of carbon monoxide, they save lives! In order for them to do this, it is important that you periodically test the detectors.
How to Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detectors
While these detectors are not dangerous, having one that’s hardwired into the house means working with electricity. Test the detector safely by:
- Pressing the test button
- Keeping hands away from the detector’s interior
- Not taking the detector apart
- Changing the batteries when needed
- Replacing the detector if it’s defective
- Getting a professional to handle any electrical problems
While you may think that you have better things to be spending your time on than testing your carbon monoxide detectors, it is essential for the safety of all those within the home. Testing them regularly will allow you to better notice when they are not working as they should.