Olight S1 Baton Review
After a trip that a friend and myself took recently my flashlight managed to mess up after a rainy night. I had been on the lookout for a new one that was small enough to add to my EDC but that could also handle getting wet. He suggested that I look in to the Olight S1 Baton so decided to make the purchase and put it to the test.
Here is the rundown of the Olight S1 Baton and my thoughts:
This torch is the perfect size for an EDC at just over 6cm in length and weighing in at just over 45 grams.
It comes with 3 standard modes (8, 80, and 500 lumens), and 2 special modes (0.5 lumen moonlight mode and a strobe mode). It also has an auto shut off feature which can be set to either 3 or 9 minutes before the light automatically switches off. I haven’t actually found a need for this personally but I am sure it would be of use to some. It features a pocket clip, a lanyard hole, and the signature magnetic tail cap for convenient operation.
- Thumb sized, 6061-T6 aluminum alloy body with anti-scratch Type-III hard anodizing.
- Recessed silicon switch to prevent accidental operation.
- TIR lens to create a balanced beam.
- Positive polarity on the battery faces the tail of the flashlight, to enhancing reliability and form a more compact size.
- Reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation.
- Built-in timer: 3 minutes or 9 minutes
- Flat tail cap design contains a strong magnet providing the ability to place it upside down and use it as a hands-free work light.
- Thermal management safety program with overheat protection by dropping high output by 50% within 1 minute of constant on. Turbo mode has a limit of 1.5 minutes.
- The S1 features a wide range current circuit and can be powered by 1 x CR123A or RCR123A(built-in protected board)
- 3 standard modes: 8 lumens, 80 lumens and 500 lumens.
- 2 special modes: 0.5 lumen moonlight mode and a 10Hz strobe mode.
- Beam distance: 110 meters
- Peak Beam Intensity (candela units): 3,000cd
- Water Resistance: IPX8
- Impact Resistance: 1.5m
- Head Diameter: 0.83 inches(21mm); Length: 2.4 inches(61mm)
- Battery Source: 1 x CR123A(3V 1500mAh) or 1 x RCR123A(3.7V 650mAh)
- Color: (body + clip)black, (BEZEL+ side switch binder ring)blue
- Operating voltage: 2.5 to 4.2V
- Weight (oz): 1.6000
The S1 Baton is so simple to use yet tough at the same time making it the perfect addition to your EDC. The side switch is all that is needed to switch it on and off.
Holding the switch whilst on scrolls through the 3 main modes. Doing the same whilst off will put the S1 in to moonlight mode and double-clicking whilst off puts it on to high. Triple-clicking whilst on will activate the strobe feature. To activate the timers you simply double-click whilst on.
The flat tail cap (removable) contains a strong magnet allowing you to fix it to any metal surface meaning you can still use both hands to do the job at hand.
The S1 Baton is more than enough to light the trail ahead when the sun goes down.
At the time of writing, the S1 Baton is priced at £41.95 with free shipping over on Amazon UK which for the functionality of it, this is more than worth it.
- Small design making it easy to fit in the pocket.
- Solid features and easy to use.
- Olight have made great use of every section of this small piece.
- Inexpensive for what you get.
- Maybe a little too small for bigger hands.
- Battery is not a common sort.
- If in pocket, the magnet will easily catch hold of your keys.
- Could have been made a little thinner but that is personal choice.
check out our other reviews below: