The Range Rover Sentinel for the Ultimate Bug Out Vehicle
When you need to get through the hoards and safely to your bug out location, you need a mammoth of a vehicle to get you there. A mobile fortress!
Land Rover’s Special Vehicle Operations original armoured Sentinel made its debut back in September 2015 with a supercharged 3.0-litre V6 engine. How things have changed. Fast forward to 2019 and SVO is making some changes underneath the bonnet.
They have swapped out the 3.0-litre V6 engine and replaced it with the larger 5.0-litre V8 mill, also of the supercharged variety. The engine upgrade comes along with an extra 39 bhp for a grand total of 375 bhp.
This luxury 4×4 SUV has everything that you’d expect and much more. It isn’t the fastest of vehicles (0-60mph in 9.8 seconds, top speed limited to 120mph) but it is one tough cookie. If the engine upgrade wasn’t enough, they have added a ton of armor plating and bulletproof glass that has given the Sentinel both ballistic and blast certifications.
Flat tire? No problem. The upgraded Sentinel comes with run-flat tires that can travel up to 30 miles at speeds of up to 50 mph even if they’re damaged.
Further security systems includes the option for a specially configured front window which drops a maximum of 150mm for document delivery, while it also features a public address system allowing occupants to address people outside the vehicle without leaving their secure environment. Siren and emergency lighting packs are also available.
Security Beneath the Surface
- Armoured Glass – When threats can come from anywhere, it pays to be prepared. That’s why armoured glass, European Standard VPAM BRV 2009 VR8 and PAS 300, is used throughout the Range Rover Sentinel to help protect passengers and driver.
- Protection Shell – Designed to meet the stringent whole vehicle standards of VPAM BRV 2009 VR8, PAS 300 and ERV 2010, the fully-certified protection cell helps to keep occupants safe, even in situations of hostility.
- Roof and Under-Floor Blast-Protection – Integral to Range Rover Sentinel’s Protection Cell are its roof and under-floor blast-protection. Capable of withstanding blasts in accordance with ERV 2010 and PAS 300, they add a further level of defence against multi-angled attacks.
- Run-Flat System – Evading extreme threats at high speeds is not a challenge thanks to a specially manufactured wheel that incorporates a run-flat system. The system has been tested for distances up to 50km at 80km/h.
- Certified Fragmentation Protection – Range Rover Sentinel is designed to face modern, unconventional forms of attack. This now includes defence against Improvised Explosive Devices, with Range Rover Sentinel tested to STANAG 4569 against a powerful mine positioned to the side of the vehicle and from behind the front wheel.
- Emergency Escape System – In emergencies, occupants can exit Range Rover Sentinel rapidly and securely through the armoured escape panel. Located in the rear luggage compartment, it allows for escapes even if the doors are unusable.
Customers wishing to find out more about this highly specialised vehicle should visit:
Alternatively, contact the Armoured Sales Team to discuss their individual security needs. They can be reached by calling +44 (0) 1920 885126 or by emailing